Many of you have been asking what kind of fun things you can do with your NGR™ Shoes to boost your workout and get closer to that 50% more calorie burn of "up to 50% more". Bearing that in mind we decided to start some Exercises of the Week for our NGR people out there!
This week's workout has a warm-up, cardio, core, and chest/shoulders section. All you need for this is your NGR Shoes and a mat so you can really do this one anywhere! Remember to take little to no breaks in between to keep your heart rate up! If you feel dizzy or queasy, take a short break until you recoup. If it persists, stop and consult your physician.
Format: do 1. once and 2,3 and 4 as stations (should be done one after another for 5 - 6 minutes).
7 Minute walk. Wherever you are step out, strap on your shoes and go outside. You can increase the intensity by increasing the speed of your walk. Don't run or jog - you've got the weights in your shoes - but walk as intensly as you feel comfortable with.
1 minute Two-Step. Now the stations start! For this you'll need some stairs with a solid hand rail and your NGRs.
1) Step up one step with one foot at a time so that both feet are on the step.
2) Then step back down until both feet are back where they started.
3) Step up two steps making sure both feet hit each step.
4) Then step back down making sure both feet hit each step on the way back down.
Do this for 30 seconds to 1 minute. If you find it too easy, increase the difficulty by trying to make it to 3, 4, and 5 steps on the fifth series. Remember to hold the rail for balance if needed.
30-seconds Scissor Sisters. This one is for your core and comes after the Two-Step. You'll need your mat and NGR's to get the most out of this one. The goal is to do as many as you can in 30 seconds USING PROPER TECHNIQUE!
Lie down on your mat with your hands under your lower back, elbows bent. Raise your legs in a V-formation about 4 inches off the mat and cross your right leg over to the right and then over the left leg in smooth controlled succession.
If that is too easy for you or if your back hurts when you do it, you can modify this with a Bicycle Crunch. For this one;
- Lie face up on the floor and lace your fingers behind your head.
- Bring the knees in towards the chest and lift the shoulder blades off the ground without pulling on the neck.
- Straighten the left leg out to about a 45-degree angle while simultaneously turning the upper body to the right, bringing the left elbow towards the right knee.
- Switch sides, bringing the right elbow towards the left knee.
- Continue alternating sides.
30-seconds One-Legged Push-Up. We all know how to do a push up but this one is meant to maximize burn using your shoes. Remember that if a standard push up is too hard, use a desk or the wall to reduce the incline and difficulty. Proper form is more important that being on the floor!
All you are going to do is standard push-ups (using the floor, a desk, or the wall as your starting position) keeping one leg off the ground. This will force you to focus on maintaining the balance in your upper body and core increasing the impact. Switch legs half way through (15-seconds) either "on the fly" or with a pause. The goal is to do as many as you can in 30 seconds.
Well that was the last station so when you are done go back to the stairs and start over. We suggest keeping a log and count of how many Two-Steps, Scissor Sisters, and One-Legged Push-ups you did. That way, you can monitor progress and see the results!
Keep the requests coming!